Monday, September 15, 2014

My first experience at a human rights protest

On July 24th, 2014, I attended my first pro-Palestine protest. The recent events in Palestine that summer ignited reactions from all over the world, whether in Japan, London, Chicago, or even Israel, people came together to demand an end to Israeli apartheid and the inhumane bombings in Gaza. One protest took place in Iowa City which was the one I was fortunate enough to go to.
It started with a friend who texted me about the information a day earlier. Because I wasn't able to go to a protest in Chicago I was originally planning on going to, going to the one in Iowa City instead seemed like a perfect opportunity. I told my parents and a few friends in Cedar Rapids about it who I felt would be interested. A friend contacted me back and we decided we would both drive to Iowa City to participate in this protest. I bought a poster and wrote "END ISRAELI AGGRESSION. Free Palestine." As pictured below. We took the 40 minute drive from Cedar Rapids to downtown Iowa City.

When my friend and I finally reached the Pentacrest, where the protest was held, we were surprised by the amount of people showing their support. There were a good 40-50 people which definitely wasn't as much as the thousands that showed up in Chicago or the hundreds of thousands in London, but it was definitely a strong group who made their voices heard. 




We chanted things such as "Free Free Palestine!" and "End the Siege on Gaza Now!" I was even interviewed on KCRG, and the protest was featured on the evening news. Despite our permit not specifically saying we could do this, we marched through the streets and continued assertively shouting slogans. Many people honked in support, raised their thumbs up, and shouted encouragement. Some also insulted, called us terrorists supporters, and threw things at us. 
Despite the little hate we got, coming together with people of all backgrounds and ages to unite for an important cause was a good experience. I met many people who were from Palestine, went to Palestine, or just merely wanted to show their support --like me-- and had very interesting stories and experiences there. I also met a few Veterans for Peace who shared their poems and experiences in the military and the Middle East. By the end of the event, my throat was scratchy and my legs were tired. 
Being at this protest made me feel proud to show my support. It was also a good experience to meet new people who shared my ideas. I would definitely like to attend more of these protests and maybe even organize a few of my own. 
I encourage you to join protests about causes you feel passionate for. Whether it's about exercising your freedom of speech, or standing up for a good cause, your support truly matters. 


No comments:

Post a Comment