Monday, September 29, 2014

For you a thousand times over.

Recently, I finished Khaled Hosseini's heartbreaking yet deeply moving novel, the Kite Runner. One thing is for certain that it was hard for me to put it down. I laughed, I definitely cried, and this book certainly moved me enough to pass on lessons and morals to me that will follow me for the rest of my life.

The Kite Runner is set in 1975 Afghanistan all the way to early 2000's America and follows the lives of Amir, a Pashtun Sunni, and Hassan, a Hazara Shi'a, two inseparable boys, who, despite their religious and ethnic differences are best friends that share a love for flying kites.
Amir is the son of a wealthy merchant and Hassan and his father are their servants, yet the two parents are basically brothers to each other and the same can be said to Hassan and Amir.
On the day of a local kite fighting tournament in the winter of 1975, the relationship between Hassan and Amir are shattered, and in replace of it a dreary, painful year. Not to mention during a time when there is political havoc amongst the many ethnicities in the country of Afghanistan.
Years later, Amir and his father flee Afghanistan for America where he spends the rest of his life in, but the life in Afghanistan is still there waiting for him.

If I could rate this book out of 5 stars it would be 5. However, I am not a book critic and didn't look for anything in the book to criticize. Perhaps if there was anything in this book to criticize it could have been the anger I felt for Amir who at many times would be very narrow minded and only think of himself.

I'd spend hours sitting in my room reading, the tales of the exotic lives of people in Afghanistan, the inspiring yet heartbreaking loyalty Hassan had for Amir, following the life of Amir and the many people that shaped him, and learning about the happenings of Afghanistan from an Afghan perspective all resonated within me and deeply moved me.

I recommend this book to everyone. The storytellings of this book, the unique characters, and the morals and lessons in this book will be unforgettable. This heart-wrenching yet inspiring book is one that I will always recommend and most of all, always remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment