Monday, April 13, 2015

Working in high school

Ed from the Good Burger

Recently, I got the chance to land a part time job at a grocery store near my house, to work in the floral department as a florist. Essentially, I sell people flowers, fill out deliveries, make orders, and clean the department. Not only has working given me a good amount of money, but it has also taught me important things that I will carry on for the rest of my life.

Firstly, the application process itself was a new experience for me. Applying everywhere that I was qualified, finally being called back, going in for an interview, and doing orientation were all new things for me and gave me a feel as to what applying, being rejected, being accepted, and being interviewed was like. 

Second, dealing with customers was something else that was new for me. When I first started out, I was incredibly awkward (I still am to an extent, but a lot better than when I started out), I had to answer many questions for them, and learn how to be a helpful and friendly person. I also, unfortunately, got the chance to meet and deal with awful and rude customers. That gave me a chance to learn how to be patient and keep my cool.

Interacting and engaging with co-workers was something that I had to get used to. So far, all of my co-workers have been incredibly lovely and interesting people.

Lastly and most importantly, I have learned how to manage my time and plan ahead. Often, when I work all afternoon from 4-8 I feel I won't have any time for homework. I've slowly yet surely learned how to complete my homework around that. I either try to utilize my time during Smart lunch, get a little done right before I work, and try to finish it after work. This has taught me not to slack off and to manage the time I have. 

I encourage every teenager to get a job. It helps you become independent and make your own money, make valuable experiences, and learn how to communicate and engage with others better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment