Monday, January 26, 2015

Conor Oberst

When I think of sad, famous white boys with guitars, the first man that pops into my head is the legendary Conor Oberst. Establishing himself as a musician as a shy, nerdy 13 year old, he released his first album, Water, in 1993, which included 12 tracks. One of those 12 tracks was Ouija, probably the most well known song of that album. 
Throughout Conor's teenage years, he developed many bands, including The Faint (1994-1995), Commander Venus (1994-1998), The Magnetas (1996), and Park Ave. (1996). However his most well known band is Bright Eyes, formed in 1995 and has extended all the way to the present, where they released their last album, the People's Key, in 2011.
Their most well known song by far, is First Day of My Life, probably one of the best and emotional love songs from the 2000's. 


I was introduced to Bright Eyes as an angry pre-teen who was new to being social, interacting with boys, experimenting with music genres, and the like. My sister and I were driving to Iowa City to visit my uncle and she put in a CD with Bright Eyes' At the Bottom of Everything. The song was different from others', starting out with a very odd story of a plane crash, and then transitioning to an angry acoustic song questioning the values of our society (We must memorize nine numbers and deny we have a soul/And in this endless race for property and privilege to be one/we must run we must run we must run). After experiencing the song, I slowly became an avid fan. For a long time, all I listened to was Bright Eyes' 2005 I'm Wide Awake It's Morning album. Conor's breathy and scratchy voice, brilliant lyrics, and sad heart made the teenage "fan girl" inside of me melt. I was harboring a serious rock star crush. In 8th grade, I often watched interviews with Oberst and his band. He was asked many questions about his band, his origins, and his inspirations; but was also asked about God, his spirituality, and his views on the world. 

Oberst was raised in a Catholic family and went to a Catholic school, however as he grew up, his beliefs began to change and through his lyrics it is obvious that he no longer indentifies as a Catholic, and points out the many issues with Jesus and monotheism (See: Four Winds and Shell Games). In an interview, when asked if God was real, he explained that God is not some celestial being in the sky, but rather everything we are surrounded by. God is what we have inside us and what is also around us. Ridiculous as it seems, but those words helped me grasp a greater understanding of my personal faith and spirituality.

In essence, Conor's poetry and lyrics speak to many people on a level many other singers and writers can't portray, and that is why Conor Oberst is a very important and very valued musician in my life, as I've grown up with his lyrics, and his music has certainly helped me get through the many perils of being a middle and high schooler; and his lyrics will continue to speak to me and shape me as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment